Strategies for Paraeducators in the Literacy Classroom
This series of eight mini-workshops is designed to support paraeducators who work with students using the reading and writing workshop model of instruction. This series includes 4 sessions dedicated to writing and 4 sessions dedicated to reading.
- Examine and understand best practices in writing and reading workshop instruction that support students in their classrooms.
- Understand the similarities and differences between the three main genres of writing – narrative, informational, and opinion/argument.
- Practice modeling writing for students.
- Understand how mentor texts are used to encourage, support, and engage students in writing.
- Understand ways to engage students with reading via read aloud, shared reading, book selection, improving stamina, and setting goals.
- Understand strategies to support reading fluency
- Understand strategies to support reading comprehension for fiction and nonfiction.
- Understand how rubrics and checklists are used as tools to guide students.